(crafting on a dime) diy crochet boot cuff

I could totally hang out on Maria’s blog, Craft Crazy Mama, all day long! I love her blue mason jar tutorial and diy upholstered headboard post. Oh and you’ll love her creative vow renewal decor. See what I mean?! Love her blog. She’s here today to show us how to craft up a pair of cute boot cuffs, just in time for Fall. So cute!

I’m notorious for being frugal and with boot season coming soon, I wanted something to jazz up my boots this fall. However, I didn’t want to spend very much for a custom pair of boot cuffs and then have to wait for them to be delivered. Call me impatient, but it worked out in my favor and I’m smitten.

Yarn (Worsted 4:Medium) ($4.29)
Crochet Hook (Size H) ($1.69)
Buttons ($1.99)
Total Project Cost: $7.97 before tax and my 20% off coupon.

Step 1: Chain (CH) 8.
Step 2: Single crochet (SC) in the second CH from the hook. Repeat until you reach the end. CH 2, turn.

Step 3: Double crochet (DC) in every SC until you reach the end. CH 1, turn.

Step 4: SC in every DC until you reach the end. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you get the desired cuff length.

Step 5: It’s time to connect the ends of your cuff. I’m lazy, so I slip stitched my cuff together and flipped it inside out to hide the seam, but if you’re more comfortable with using a yarn needle to connect the two end of your cuffs you can. You can see how I slip stitched it in the photo above.

Step 6: For the rest of the cuff, you’ll do two DC around every loop and slip stitch them together when you get back to the start of the row. Repeat for 7 more rows.
Step 7: Repeat step 3, 4, & 3 in that order. Tie off your yarn.

Step 8: To get the scalloped edge on top you’ll need to DC 5 one loop, slip stitch the next loop, DC 5 in the next loop, etc, until you reach the end. Tie off your yarn and thread the yarn through your button holes and secure it to the cuff. Voila!

Hi everyone! I’m Maria and I’m the lady behind the scenes at craftcrazymom.com. I’m a proud Navy wife, mother to a spunky soon to be two year old girl, and expecting a baby boy this winter. I love blogging about life, love and DIY and all the adventures that come with it. Thanks for having me this week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The following two tabs change content below.
I'm Vanessa and it's my mission in life to spread my love of hot glue guns and glitter to others. I suffer from craft ADHD, regularly working on at least 10 projects at the same time and my craft room looks like a tornado hit it. My first craft book, Party in a Jar, was published in 2014. I look forward to crafting with you!

Latest posts by Vanessa (see all)

• says

Crocheting is super easy to learn if you have the right resource. I used the book “The Easy Learn to Crochet in Just One Day” and was literally whipping up baby hats and blankets left and right :) I’ve heard You Tube videos are great too. It’s easy, I promise!
      Maria @ Craft Crazy Mom recently posted..Faux Weathered WoodMy Profile

1. JaneEllen Jones says

Those bootie cuffs are so darned cute and versatile. Think since I don’t have any little grandkids I’d love them for tops of boots.
    Loved your version of painting the mason jars. Have seen several versions, I put the food coloring, glue and water mixed into the jars, they turned out really pretty but realize I can’t use the jars for a vase then. I’ll have to try painting them with the glass paint sometime. So many different versions make it a great project.
    I have several of the blue jars and a couple of the bigger ones that are tinted close to a greenish tint. Really pretty. I had all my jars packed away but after seeing all the uses you talented bloggers make I decided to get them out to use them for storing dry goods. We’ve moved them, had them stored for quite awhile so I asked myself why I was keeping them if I wasn’t going to use them.
    Wish I could still crochet so I could make those adorable cuffs. I’m not good at following a pattern either.

• says

I found the bootcuffs on pinterest as well. I made them out of thin cotton yarn I would normally use to make doilies. They are natural in color so they go very well with my brown leather boots and a long, cream-colored sweater. They are a very feminine spin on the ones in your demo. I love them and have gotten many compliments! Thanks so much for sharing this idea with us!

2. Dina says

umm, i have a question. tried to make these tonight, & it seems like a whole row of instructions is missing between rows 5 & 6….or am i just reading this wrong?

3. Karen says

I love these boot cuffs. I’m making some right now! Just wondering if it’s supposed to be 2 DC in each loop in step 6. That’s what the picture looks like to me, but I’m just a newbie. Thanks!

4. rose gallardo says

I’m confused about the pattern for the first step. You want us to chain 8? I don’t understand how long the length should be. Could you please clarify that for me? Thank you.

• Vanessa says

Glad you figured it out :)

There was a typo in step 6 (I just fixed it). It should say: For the rest of the cuff, you’ll do two DC around every loop and slip stitch them together when you get back to the start of the row. Repeat for 7 more rows.

• sianabanana says

I think there is another typo on step 6 also. Its correct for the fist row – but surely if you repeat this putting two dcs in each space then it will get bigger and bigger. Surely its 2 in one, then skip one.

• Patricia says

Trying to make this for a Christmas gift and am wondering what do you mean exactly when you tell us to do two dc in every loop? Are you saying that each chain turn is a loop? Thanks,,,,,

• mandy says

I am very confused when i get to step 6 so i do 2 dc in every loop and slip stitch them together. so i do 2 dc in 29 loops as thats how many rows i did. But I am not getting the same look as in the picture for the middle portion?

• Lindsay says

Okay, so the way I’m reading it, it’s just going to get bigger and bigger and bigger! Do you mean to do 2 DC in every loop, and then one DC into every DC for 7 rows?

5. says

Hi! I can’t wait to make these! I was actually thinking about making them small for my 4 year old daughter too (who would wear a dress every day if she could.) Do you suggest a smaller hook or just modify the pattern?

Also wanted to say “Hi” as a fellow military wife! (usmc). :)

6. Charrie says

Beautiful boot cuffs! Making some for my DIL right now. On step 4 where you say to repeat steps 3 & 4, you need to add to chain 2 at the beginning of each DC row (beginning of step 3) since that was part of the end of step 2.

7. Kim says

Hey! Thanks for the tutorial. I’m trying to make these and am confused on step 6 my dc look nothing like yours. Am I doing something wrong?

8. says

I am really mixed up, hate to think I am so dumb, I went to the knit shop for help and they told me I didn’t have all the pattern. Even when I read these comments I am not sure. I am such a newbee at crocheting. I really want to make these cuffs and they seemed simple and I am sure I can do it but need some direction. Help please!

9. Jessica says

I am new to crocheting so I am not sure how to attach the yarn to the top when starting the scalloped part. I have a finished cuff but without scallops. Did I do something wrong?

10. Torie says

I’m confused on step 6 how do you do 2 dc in every loop? I’m pretty new to crocheting and I can not figure this out or find anything online explaining this. If you could please explain how I would greatly appreciate it.

11. Sherry says

I just learned, yesterday, how to crochet and I am so excited to find this pattern! My daughter is in love with boot cuffs and I am so excited I can make her some that are one of a kind (or 2 LOL) Thanks you so much for sharing this! I am adding your blog to my pinboard of blogs I love! :)

12. sara says

Just to clarify! In setp six when you say to do 2dcthe in every loop….do you mean the space that the ch2 for the dc row makes? Do i skip the sc row or squeeze 2dc in that space too?

One more question? How do you know the right length of the ribbing part? I’m thinking to measure the calf and then maybe an inch smaller? Yarn stretches so i thought maybe it need to be a bit smaller than the actual leg size?

13. Kimber says

Love these! I am trying to make a pair for a Christmas gift, but I am struggling with one concept. On Step 6, it says “do two DC around every loop and slip stitch them together”. Can you explain in more detail how to “slip stitch them together”? I have watched youtube tutorials, but I can’t figure out how it fits in this context. Any help is much appreciated!

14. Chrissy says

Just finished one….mine did not turn out as nice as yours. My scallops just don’t lay right. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I will try again…..wish me luck!!! :)

15. Carol says

I just finished a set of these for a Christmas present for a granddaughter. Thank you for making your pattern available. I am proud of the way they turned out, again thanks. I made a mistake of not crocheting in the back loops, so not quite as nice as yours but I will do them correctly the next time! And I do plan on making another set for her.

16. TJune says

you forgot to note that for a double crochet that you need to chain two, I started the pattern and was like wait something is missing…

17. Heather says

I am struggling with step 6… My cuff keeps getting smaller each row…I am missing the chain 2??? Any help would be great!!! Trying to make them for a bday present!!

18. Carol says

Vanessa, I’m working on these boot cuffs and so far they are going along fine until I finished the DC in the loops for 7 rows. Now, the instructions tell me to do Step 3, 4, 3 in that order. So…………I’m DC one row, SC one row and DC in the last row for the finish?????? (Of course I will add on the scalloped edging last on top of the cuff) Please help me…..I’m almost finished. Thanks SO much! Carol