I don’t remember ever going over shapes with Logan, we’ve just been focusing on learning other things. So, I was excited when I thought of a great way to introduce them to him – a felt pumpkin shape activity, just in time for Halloween. To my surprise, he already knows them! I’m not sure where my little sponge learned “triangle” from, but when I asked him what they were he matter-of-factly named them off. Clearly, I underestimate him. Next week I will be bringing the big guns to tot school. He still had a blast with this activity. It’s like a Halloween version of Mr. Potato Head, which he’s quite obsessed with at the moment.
Activity: Felt Pumpkin Shape Activity
(learning objective: identifying shapes, matching, identifying body parts, working on fine motor skills, etc.)
Hot Glue Gun
Fake or Real Pumpkin
Cut orange felt into 2-3 x 11 inch strips and attach to pumpkin with hot glue. I found it easiest to add a line of glue to the top and bottom of the felt strip and then stick on the pumpkin.
Cut shapes out of black felt (3 shapes per face) and different mouth shapes. I cut out triangles, stars, hearts and circles for this activity.
Next, mix up the shapes and have your child find the matching shapes (as you help them identify the shapes) and make faces on the pumpkin. For older children, you could take photos of your pumpkin with different face configurations (heart for left eye, circle for right eye, triangle for nose, etc) and have them try and make a face matching the photo.
Link up your Tot School Tuesday activities here! Tot School Tuesday is all about teaching your child something in a fun and playful way. Blog along with me every Tuesday and link up your ideas here. They can be original ideas or something you saw online (just make sure to give credit to the person who came up with the idea).
“Tot School Tuesday” rules:
- Tot School related blog post links only please. Links to shops, giveaways and products will be deleted.
- Link directly to your Tot School post, not just your blog.
- Please link to See Vanessa Craft somewhere on your post or grab a “Tot School Tuesday” button and link it back to www.seevanessacraft.com.
You Might Also Like
Latest posts by Vanessa (see all)
- DIY: Pink and Purple Floral Big Girl Room Makeover - January 11, 2018
- Disney: Disney On Ice Follow Your Heart Discount Code - January 10, 2018
- Kid Friendly: 25+ Toy and LEGO Organization Ideas - January 7, 2018
- Travel: 10 Things To Do in LEGOLAND California for the Holidays - January 4, 2018