I usually try to restrain myself from posting about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. I just couldn’t this year, sorry folks. Feel free to avoid reading this post until Friday if you must respect the Turkey.
This Tot School activity just started out as a fun craft activity for my toddler, but turned into a learning activity. An activity that I honestly didn’t think would go over so well for a 2 year old who has a very short attention span. Once again, Logan surprised me. Decorating a gingerbread house is a great way to teach counting and work on fine motor skills, without really working on it at all. Once again, I’m shown that kids really do learn so much more through play and experience.
Kara of Mine for the Making is co-hosting Tot School Tuesday this month. Make sure to visit her blog for some fabulous preschool age activities.
Activity: Gingerbread House Decorating
(learning objective: fine motor skills, patience, counting, sorting, identifying colors)
Follow my instructions over at Celebrations.com on how to make a graham cracker gingerbread house. Older children can help with assembly. Place different sized/colored candy in muffin tins. Ice the top of the roof and door for your child if he/she needs assistance and have them place candy on the icing. As you decorate together, engage your child in counting and identifying the different colors. Logan enjoyed spending time sorting his candy in the muffin tins. Logan’s patience with this activity surprised me. He loved it and was so proud of the finished product. Plus, it helped that he got to pop a few pieces of candy in his mouth here and there.
November’s Tot School Tuesday Co-host: Kara of Mine for the Making
(visit her blog for Tot School Tuesday ideas for older children)
Link up your Tot School Tuesday activities here! Tot School Tuesday is all about teaching your child something in a fun and playful way. Blog along with me every Tuesday and link up your ideas here. They can be original ideas or something you saw online (just make sure to give credit to the person who came up with the idea).
“Tot School Tuesday” rules:
- Tot School related blog post links only please. Links to shops, giveaways and products will be deleted.
- Link directly to your Tot School post, not just your blog.
- Please link to See Vanessa Craft somewhere on your post or grab a “Tot School Tuesday” button and link it back to www.seevanessacraft.com.
You Might Also Like
Latest posts by Vanessa (see all)
- The Pigeon HAS to Go to School! Book Party for Kids - July 5, 2019
- Celebrating Thank-O-Rama Month with Mo Willems - June 6, 2019
- Top 10 Things to Do in Universal Studios Hollywood The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - May 28, 2019
- Fizzy Bath Salts Craft - April 26, 2019