Where The Wild Things Are was one of my favorite childhood books and I’ve loved sharing my original copy with my 2 year old. This week for Tot School Tuesday, we decided to transform toilet paper rolls into “Wild Thing” monsters, minus the terrible teeth and terrible claws. I’m always amazed at how well my active boy does with activities like this that requires a little patience. He was so into painting his monsters and beamed at me when I complimented his painting skills. This age definitely comes with its challenges, but moments like these make it my favorite age yet! I could eat him up, I love him so.
Activity: Toilet Paper Wild Thing Monsters
(learning objective: fine motor skills, language development)
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Toilet Paper Rolls (cut in half)
Q-Tips or Paint Brushes
Extra Large Googly Eyes
Cut toilet paper rolls in half. Have your child paint the rolls with tempera paint and Q-tips or paint brushes. While the rolls are drying, read Where The Wild Things Are and other monster books together. Once dry, help your child turn their painted rolls into monsters by gluing a giant googly eye to the front. You can also help them wrap a pipe cleaner around the roll and trim into antennas, gluing pom poms to the ends.
Tot School Tuesday Co-host: Kara of Mine for the Making (visit her blog for preschool aged activities)
Link up your Tot School Tuesday activities here! Tot School Tuesday is all about teaching your child something in a fun and playful way. Blog along with me every Tuesday and link up your ideas here. They can be original ideas or something you saw online (just make sure to give credit to the person who came up with the idea).
“Tot School Tuesday” rules:
- Tot School related blog post links only please. Links to shops, giveaways and products will be deleted.
- Link directly to your Tot School post, not just your blog.
- Please link to See Vanessa Craft somewhere on your post or grab a “Tot School Tuesday” button and link it back to www.seevanessacraft.com.
Fine print: This post contains an affiliate link.
You Might Also Like
Latest posts by Vanessa (see all)
- Disney: Avengers Infinity War Blu-ray Release #InfinityWarBluray - August 14, 2018
- Disney: Director Marc Forster Interview #ChristopherRobinEvent - August 10, 2018
- Disney: Bronte Carmichael “Madeline Robin” Interview #ChristopherRobinEvent - August 9, 2018
- Disney: Avengers Infinity War Trinh Tran Interview #InfinityWarBluray - August 8, 2018