Hey there! I am Kelsey from the blog Poofy Cheeks and I am sharing a very simple tutorial for sewing minky burp clothes. I have used this method to sew burp clothes for all of my own kids and they are always a great baby shower gift too! If you are new to sewing, this tutorial is for you! If sewing with the minky fabric makes you a little nervous you can always use chenille because it doesn’t slip around as much as the minky fabric can. Ready? We are just going to sew a couple of rectangles (aka straight lines)!!
For the burp clothes you will need:
- A rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Sewing machine
- Pre-washed cotton fabric (you will need an 8×20 inch piece for each burp cloth)
- Pre-washed minky fabric (again you will need an 8×20 inch piece for each burp cloth)
Start out by taking your pre-washed fabric and cutting it to the right size using a rotary cutter. I cut my fabric to be 8×20 inches but it is really personal preference.
Once all of your fabric pieces are cut take one piece of minky fabric and one piece of cotton fabric and put them together with right sides touching.
Then pin the pieces together. Since the minky fabric tends to slide a little when you sew I use a few extra pins than normal.
Then I start sewing the two pieces together. Start sewing in the middle of one of the long sides and sew all around the edge until you are almost back to where you started. You want to leave a gap a few inches long to turn the burp cloth right side out.
Before you start turning it right side out snip all four corners off so that they will be more defined.
Now you are ready to carefully push the right sides out through the hole you left.
To close up the hole fold the two sides in and sew as close to the edge as you can. Flatten out the burp cloth and then go around the entire cloth one more time.
Some people just stop once the hole is sewed closed, but I think sewing around the cloth one more time makes it look so much nicer, plus it will hold up better in the wash!
You Might Also Like
Latest posts by Vanessa (see all)
- Disney: 10 Behind the Scenes Facts About Ralph Breaks the Internet - September 20, 2018
- Christmas: Book Advent Calendar and Printable Tags - September 10, 2018
- Disney: Pixar UP Printable and Craft for Kids - September 10, 2018
- Parenting: How To Limit Screen Time for Happier and Less Anxious Kids - August 29, 2018