by: Jennifer Dawn for See Vanessa Craft
This time of year always gets me in the mood to organize, and one of the easiest ways to neaten up a closet or cabinet is with baskets. These chalk cloth labels raise the cute factor even more while serving the practical purpose of reminding you of what’s inside. Do you have a few baskets or containers in your home that could use a label. Here’s how to make your own chalk cloth labels…
chalk cloth (I get mine from RaspberryCreekFabric.)
pencil and paper
basic sewing supplies (scissors, thread…)
1. Gather your materials. Prime your chalk cloth by rubbing a piece of chalk over the surface in both directions and wiping the chalk away. This will prevent the first thing you write on your cloth from becoming a permanent image that doesn’t erase.
2. With your pencil and paper, draw out the shape you want your label to be. I made a pennant flag pattern. Use the paper pattern as a guide for cutting out pieces of chalk cloth.
3. Cut out pieces of scrap fabric that are a little larger than each piece of chalk cloth. I don’t cut the patterned fabric in the same shape yet. When you are sewing two very different materials together like a heavy chalk cloth and a lighter cotton fabric, they will each stretch differently as you sew.
4. With the right side of each material facing out, stitch around the perimeter of the chalk cloth labels. Tip: Remember to backstitch (sew forward a few stitches, back a few stitches, and then forward again) at the start and finish.
5. Trim the threads and the excess fabric from around each label.
6. Use your punch to make a hole in the corner of each label. Tip: If needed, you can use scissors to neaten up the holes. Thread twine through each hole.
7. Now you can write on your labels.
8. And tie them onto a basket or other storage container.
Jennifer is a wife, mommy, and former teacher who left the classroom to stay home with her three little ones. She’s an avid crafter who loves to dapple in all things creative. Through blogging she’s found a way to share her love of craftiness and spread a little happiness. She blogs at The Life of Jennifer Dawn.
You Might Also Like
Latest posts by Vanessa (see all)
- Disney: Avengers Infinity War Blu-ray Release #InfinityWarBluray - August 14, 2018
- Disney: Director Marc Forster Interview #ChristopherRobinEvent - August 10, 2018
- Disney: Bronte Carmichael “Madeline Robin” Interview #ChristopherRobinEvent - August 9, 2018
- Disney: Avengers Infinity War Trinh Tran Interview #InfinityWarBluray - August 8, 2018