Hi! This is Kendra from My Insanity. One of my favorite crazy things to do as a family is to dress-up together for Halloween. We’ve done it nearly every year since my oldest was a baby and my children love it. We can be found through out the year discussing the potential subjects for the next Halloween and how we would cast our family in those roles.
Last year was our year to be Superheroes, both for Halloween and for a big birthday party. Our costumes tend to be a combination of borrowed, assembled, and made. Sometimes my mom sews amazing costumes for us to use (like my Wonder Woman costume), but when she isn’t available since my sewing skills are lagging far behind my mother’s I have to get a little creative when it comes to putting together some of the pieces of our ensemble.
My boys were the dynamic duo of Batman and Robin. We were fortunate enough to have inherited the basic batman costume. I bought the mask, but didn’t have a cape to complete the look. I also couldn’t find a Robin costume that I liked to purchase, so we DIYed the Robin suit and the capes for both boys as simply as I knew how…without any sewing!
I liked the old-school Robin in tights costumes, partly because he was 3 and could get away with wearing tights and partly because it goes with the version of Batman costume that we had.
We bought a package each of plain white cotton t-shirts/undershirts and cotton training pants and some RIT dye. We dyed one of the shirts green and one of the shirts red, as well as the underpants green. After they were dry, we cut the sleeves off of the red shirt to make it look like a vest. I created the “R” emblem and the yellow laces (is that what they are?) out of felt and glued them to the shirt with liquid stitch.
By the time we took these pictures, the belt we had borrowed from his brother had slid down below his vest (but it is there). I made his mask out of black felt and attached elastic string to it. It was actually the felt that is backed in adhesive–not because I planned it that way, but because it was what was available in the store. I left the backing on and it gave the mask a little more stability. (He ended up winning the costume contest at the birthday party because the birthday boy loved our take on the old-school Robin costume).
I DIYed the capes for both boys. I bought old t-shirts from the thrift store–yellow for Robin and black for Batman–several sizes bigger than they would normally wear. I cut off the sleeves, then drew a line from the center of the collar to the shoulder and cut it out. By folding the cut side of the front of the shirt over, I could match my line on the other side of the shirt. By leaving the collar in-tact and cutting off the rest of the front of the shirt, it makes it so they can just slip the cape on over the costume.
For the Batman cape, I took a bowl and drew batwing scallops along the edge and cut those out for a more authentic Batman shape.
The capes were so easy and inexpensive to make and would work for a variety of costumes. To see our other family costumes, check out this post. You can see all of my crazy creative Halloween ideas here.